Laura de Leon's Reviews > The Mephisto Club

2013736
Mar 29, 09

bookshelves: mystery, audiobook
Read in March, 2009

This is the first book I've read (or in this case, listened to) from this series. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt by giving it 4 stars rather than 3, since I was on the borderline of how to rate it, and I suspect I would have gotten into the book much faster if I had been familiar with the characters at the start.

The book did a good job of being very creepy, and I'm not usually susceptible to that sort of atmosphere. Outside of that, the writing was good but not intrusive. I was able to enjoy the book without paying attention to the individual words (unlike another book I'm reading, where the words scream out as to how literary they are).

At first,the recurring characters seemed flat, but I think the depth had been developed in previous books, and came out more as I read further. Most of the one-time characters were flat, but that is to be expected. I'd like to get to know the primary and secondary continuing characters better.

The plot itself was decent, but the details surrounding it were intriguing and well developed.

I'll probably track down other books from this series at some point, particularly if they are also available for library download.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mephisto Club.