Abi Cadell's Reviews > The Magicians' Guild

The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan

Mar 15, 2009

I very much enjoyed this book and the other two in the trilogy - the characterisation was simple but not dull, and Sonea is an interesting and appealing character.

Only two points irritated me: firstly, there is very little sense of place. The Guild and the slums are quite well drawn, but of the rest of Kyralia we are given very little idea. Nor do we get much idea of life outside the Guild or the slums in general - it seems a very closed world.

The second irritation for me was that there were inconsistencies in the way that magic worked. There are two principles: a) most magicians have to have their magic activated by another magician, and b) if it emerges by itself and they don't learn Control (which can only be taught by another magician - it doesn't appear to be instinctive), it will destroy them. So how, in the very beginning, did any magicians discover magic without being destroyed by it?

Apart from these minor quibbles, however, I enjoyed this book and the other two very much.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians' Guild.