Eva Mitnick's Reviews > What I Saw and How I Lied

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Mar 15, 09

bookshelves: ya, historical-fiction
Read in March, 2009

What really knocked my socks off about this book was its unwavering grounding in a certain time and place - the late forties in New York and Florida. Never having lived in the forties or in those two locations, I can only say that I feel as if I have. The dialogue, the clothing, even the way Evie thinks and feels about things are all pitch-perfect and made me feel as if I were watching an old movie in living, breathing color. The other pleasure of this book - a bittersweet one - was the masterful way Blundell relates the inevitable distance grow between Evie and her mother as Evie moves away from childhood. Due to her mother's very human flaws, this distance isn't just the normal strained relationship of a mother and teenaged daughter, but an insurmountable void - it's heartbreaking to watch Evie lose her ideals even as it becomes clear that Evie is becoming a better person than her parents ever were. A wonderful period piece with a knock-out cover to match.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Saw and How I Lied.