Jessica's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Jan 02, 13

I liked this, and I especially liked Minnie. It was refreshing to have an intelligent, non simpering female in a historical romance. I also liked that Robert, our swoon-worthy Duke, isn't some sexaholic rake. I don't read too much historical romance anymore because it seems like those are the two formulaic characters I see over and over again. My only minor issue is that Robert just seemed a bit... I don't know. He was certainly nice, and charming, but I wasn't swooning as much over him as I wish I was. I kinda feel like he should live in modern-day Seattle and write emo songs. Poor me, poor you, fight for the cause, down with "the man", you know what I'm talking about. There's nothing really wrong with that, but if I'm reading about falling in love with a Duke, I want to imagine a man that's gonna be my rock and spoil me with his riches. It's fantasy, after all. But I just didn't get that sense of strength from him. But he's good for Minnie, and she's certainly strong enough for them both. It was a nice, fairly quick love story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.