All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Forsaken by the Others

Jun 29, 13

bookshelves: 2013-july-hotp, reviewed-by-abigail, dd-2013
Read in June, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The H&W Investigations series has evolved over the past five books. In a way it’s become lighter, more wacky. The focus in FORSAKEN BY THE OTHERS is less on the relationships and mythology, and more on the mystery of a black mage raising zombies in LA. There’s a lot of foot work as Shia and Sara question seemingly half the city in their investigation. I could have done with a little less chatting and a little more action, but considering this is the first book since Shia lost her super powered belt, it does make sense.

What remains strong is the humorous dialog and wry observations from Shia. She has a healthy fear of the Others which comes in handy quite often since they usually want to kill her for one reason or another. There are some personal storylines that carry over for Shia and Sara, but for the most part, this feels like a self contained plot this time out.

My biggest criticism is the same one I had last time. Apart from the very beginning, Royce is a no show and Arnold is regulated to a few brief phone call scenes. The sexy/funny elements that they both bring respectively were missing for me again. Since the success of this series has always been built on this truly fantastic ensemble cast, the books are strongest when they are all featured.

That being said, the expected cliffhanger has done it’s job of ensuring I’ll be back for more. After three books with significantly fewer page time for some of my favorite characters, I’m really hoping for a full reunion for the next H&W Investigations book.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forsaken by the Others.

05/07/2013 marked as: received-for-review