AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

bookshelves: funny
Read in February, 2013

Teton County Library Call Number: F SEMPLE

Cindy W.'s Rating: 4 stars
“Where’d You Go Bernadette?” is an entertaining read. The book is populated by eccentric, flawed, talented characters who, through LOL situations, get themselves into - and ultimately out of - destructive patterns which have put themselves and their families into downhill slides. A giant mudslide actually takes place in the book, landing (literally) tons of wet soil from the property of the protagonist into the home of one of the book’s antagonists. A funny scene. The story takes place in Seattle, LA, and Antarctica. Semple describes these settings with skill, making them all very palpable – the weather, the social tension, the beauty. She uses not only narrative but emails, FBI reports, letters and ship captain’s logs to tell her story. The technique reminded me a little of Jennifer Egan’s “Goonsquad” layout, although “Bernadette” is laid out chronologically, with fewer characters and a shorter time span. Semple was a TV comedy scriptwriter before writing fiction, so I was not surprised that her technique also reminded me a little of TV comedy shows – very short scenes from different perspectives that, when well done, tell a cohesive, humorous story.

Christy's Rating: 4 stars
This book is hilarious, subtly so. No wonder the author wrote for Mad About You and Arrested Development. Satire in the form of correspondence. I think the fantastic cover art drew me in.

I just love the idea of a MacArthur-Award-Winning darling of the architecture world who disappears after her biggest triumph-come-disaster, then portrayed years later through the eyes of her daughter and the bohemian-bourgeoisie moms of a Seattle private school. That comedy of manners and intrigue is my favorite piece of the book. Then it turns to is-she-crazy-is-she-not, which makes her run away leaving her family to chase after.

Overall really enjoyable if not life-changing.

Marisa's Rating: 3 stars
What a fun read! This epistolary (I just learned this great literary term from the fantastic book trailer for this novel)book was quite the fast read. I even laughed out loud a few times -- a sure sign of a fun novel! The sarcastic tone and hilarious correspondences kept me reading but the funny assessments of Seattle society kept me laughing.

Diana's rating: 4 stars
This is a great summer read for all of the reasons given above. Quick pacing, funny archetypical characters, and Bernadette herself, a character we haven't seen before, somebody famous in her own field but relatively unknown to those outside it, who goes into hiding a la Greta Garbo. The revelatory nature of the last quarter of the book turns enemies into friends and vice versa, and "cures" Bernadette of what was ailing her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.