Crystal 's Reviews > The 13th Sign

The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb

Jan 02, 13

Read on January 02, 2013

First Thoughts
I loved the cover and the entire concept of a 13th sign. Ok, Do you guys remembers, not sure when this happened, but no more than a year ago they were telling us about this new sign? It was big news for a couple weeks and although I’m not one that believes in horoscopes and your sign dictating your personality; I am one that has had the same birth stone my entire life, to one day being told that I’m no longer a Sagittarius (Dec.13) but an Ophiuchus. Needless to say I was not a fan! So this book really appealed to me.

My Thoughts
This was my first middle grade in years, and honestly I can’t remember why I don’t read them as often, but the 13th sign was a great book to start off with! This book is about Jalen (cool name), a girl every year on her birthday goes and visits Madame Beausoleil to have her horoscope read. She usually does this with her Nina every year, but this year her Nina is sick and she decides to keep with tradition and still go. After getting a false reading she then walks around the store and comes across a book labeled “The Keypers of The Zodiack”, a book not for sale but she takes it anyway. She later realizes that she has unlocked the 13th Sign, the Ophiuchus, and the other signs are far from happy about this. They are sworn to protect Ophiuchus powers from humans. Jalen now has to defeat each keeper, or the alters to everyone personality well be permanent. The universe depends on her!
The Characters are Jalen, the strong challenger, and the girl who has the world on her shoulders, literally! Also, along for the ride, is Ellie and Brennan, a brother /sister duo that will be there to help her on her Journey. Making a cameo is each other the signs, they bring a long their personalities, and action.

When I first starting reading the 13th sign I was not invested at all. I wasn’t feeling the whole concept and I could only read a couple lines at a time. But by the second chapter I was ready for this journey. I realized how truly unique this book was from everything else I’d read before. The author had me thinking about the zodiac signs, and the back story, and basically just wanting to fully understand the Zodiac calendar.

What I didn’t like was the pacing. I felt that it wasn’t enough pages and time between signs before we were already jumping to the next thing. I would have loved to see each gatekeeper get their own story. I felt that only then, would we have a full understanding of the entire story and the history of each sign.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, and I take my hats off to the author for coming up with something both unique and interesting. Even though this is a middle grade I can see people of all ages enjoying this one, and I can easily see it being a movie or TV show! If you are looking for action and a story completely different than anything out, I would recommend the 13th sign!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13th Sign.