Ann's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Mar 16, 09

bookshelves: children-young-adult
Read in March, 2009

This is a book of rare imagination - and, surprisingly (given the title and the idea of the plot), of humor and delicate beauty. I struggled, however, between giving it four or five stars, because it's also a thriller-adventure, and I just didn't find those aspects as amazing.

Without giving anything away: In the opening paragraphs, with almost no blood or violence, a baby's family is killed but the baby toddles away into the town's deserted graveyard, whose long-dead inhabitants take him into their care and keeping. And there he grows up, the only living inhabitant. The Graveyard Book is a funny, tender coming-of-age adventure book, seamlessly and wonderfully crossing the boundaries of life, death, and things not either.

But the killer is still out there, and I found that part of the book disappointing. Perhaps because the other parts were so original and this part turned out to be too reminiscent of other well-known books; perhaps because the thriller parts just didn't seem to fit as well as they do in, say, the Dark Materials books; perhaps because I saw the climactic surprises coming from way far away (OK, maybe young readers wouldn't).

But I heartily endorse the Newbery award that The Graveyard Book won, and you should by all means read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.