Antoinette's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Jan 02, 13

Read in January, 2013

In 2013 my mystery book club is reading mysteries that won or were nominated for prizes. In January we will discuss books that won or were nominated for the Agatha. My choice was A Beautiful Blue Death written by Charles Finch, an Agatha Award nominee. It was also named one of the Literary Journal's Best Books of 2007. Finch's detective, Charles Lenox,
lives the comfortable life of a Victorian gentleman in London and loves nothing more than to read in front of a roaring fire in his private study. When his lifelong friend, Lady Jane, asks for his help to find the murderer of one of her former servants, he throws his talents and considerable resources into the detective task. A second murder is committed during a society ball where Lenox is a guest and the plot becomes even more complicated. The characters are well developed, the plot in interesting, the backdrop of Victorian London is well-drawn and the writing is excellent. I recommend it to readers of historic mysteries,and cozies in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teri Zuckerman oooh, I would love too be a part of this book club.Is there a list somewhere of the books that were chosen so far? Thank you.

Antoinette Teri wrote: "oooh, I would love too be a part of this book club.Is there a list somewhere of the books that were chosen so far? Thank you."

The book club is a little unorthodox. We have a topic and we read any book from that category and then report on it. For 2013 we red award winners (or nominees) roughly in alphabetical order. January's topic was Agatha winners, February was Anthony award winners, March was Arthur Ellis award, April the Barry awards, May the Dagger Awards, June the Dilys Award, July the Edgar awards, August The Hammet, September the Lefty, October, the Nacavity Award, November the Ned Kelly Awards, and next month the Nero Awards. We ran out of months so we'll finish up in 2014. The Stop You're Killing me site has lists of all the award nominees and winner. I'll post the topics for next year when I find them.