Sueij's Reviews > Faking It

Faking It by Jennifer Crusie

1951999
Mar 14, 09

Read in March, 2009

By the same author as the excellent book Bet Me, this was just as well written, and by the end, just as engrossing and enjoyable.

There were two things that gave me trouble with this book; one small and one large. The small is just that there are an awful lot of characters introduced right off the bat, including a woman named Clea, two female characters who go by multiple female names, a guy called Rabbit and a dog named Steve. It was just plain hard to keep everyone straight for a while.

My second problem is just a personal interest one. The two main characters are both scam artists trying to live straight, but -- here's the thing -- they're *moral* scam artists (much like Nora Roberts' Honest Illusions). They steal, but only from people who can "afford it." Sorry, but I don't buy it. Cheating is cheating, whoever does it. It's no more right for cheating another cheater.

However, once I finally adjusted to that as a premise of the story, it was a wonderful book to read, full of surprises and interesting twists. Definitely worth reading if you don't mind "honest" scammers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faking It.