Sara's Reviews > Someone Like You

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Mar 14, 09

bookshelves: 2009, young-adult
Read in March, 2009

Sarah Dessen is an author who is praised so often and her books are lauded with awards, so I figured I might as well check one of her books out. Having finished Someone Like You, I wonder whether I should have chosen another book to begin with.

The writing in the book is really good. The characters were well drawn, the places well described, and the dialogue well written. I liked that aspect of the book. And I thought that the plot - while a little melodramatic - was interesting. I guess I just wasn't completely wowed by it; parts were a little cheesy (especially at the end), and the ending left a lot to be desired. When the book ended, I kinda wondered what the point of it was; not exactly the reaction a reader should have after finishing a book!

But because the writing was good, I'll probably read another one of her books and see if that's any better or more memorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone Like You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Claire I just read your review and I also just read Someone Like You. I think that the story was awesome but they could've left out the Halley comet/unusual name thing. I don't know where the book took place and I know the author usually writes in the close present(it said the 90s i think) but Halley didn't seem like that odd of a name. Scarlett yes. I was so happy for Scarlett in the end but I wish Macon and Halley were working it out because I think he has enough in him. I do think that the ending was sort of odd.