Christine's Reviews > Step on a Crack

Step on a Crack by James Patterson

Mar 14, 09

bookshelves: 2007, contemporary-fiction
Read in September, 2007

I found this book to be highly unbelievable. What busy detective is going to have ten adopted children!? How odd that the former first lady is murdered and at her funeral terrorists see this as an opportunity to strike. And at the same time his wife loses her battle with a deadly disease, leaving him with all the children and a high-profile case. This story is too cliché and predictable. We barely get into the depth of the characters and there seem to be plot holes.

The insanely short chapters made me feel like I was reading a play rather than a novel. It seems to me that the strain of producing so many books a year is causing Mr. Patterson to be lazy in his work. Simply churning out books for profit, rather than genuine storytelling.

I’ve not given up on James Patterson though, as I have been told his Experiment novels are much better than this crime dramas. Perhaps I will have better luck there, but I’m sure this is the last of his murder mysteries I will read. Die-hard Patterson fans will no doubt love this, but it’s just not my cup of tea.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Step on a Crack.

Terri I agree on several points of your review. One that that there are parts of the story that are unbelievable. I found myself saying, "that would never happen"! I also agree that there are holes in the plot. It just doesn't read like a James Patterson novel. I'm wondering if Patterson did nothing more that put his name on the cover and maybe added his advice from time to time. Pure James Patterson it's not.

message 2: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher Telles So what if it's unbelievable! I read to escape to a world the author paints. Why would I want to read a book that is just like real life. I feel it's nice to read stories where we are on the inside of something dramatic , looking out, as apposed to real life looking at the news from the outside. Real JP, fans will know what I mean. If u want realistic , then don't read Adult fiction books like this. Read a news paper or a history book.

Amanda Jaczkowski Wait, did you miss the fact that the kidnappers are the ones who killed the First Lady? It wasn't a crime of opportunity, it was part of their plot.