Lizzie's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Jan 02, 13

bookshelves: british-invasion, historical-romance, garment-factories, angst, read-in-2012
Read in December, 2012

Most readers and reviewers seemed less than impressed with Robert, and that's exactly why I adored him to bits. How delightfully subversive was the dynamic between Robert and Minnie, especially when she fantasizes about whispering into his ear at Parliament, but then realizes she would have to attend balls!

Robert's not the brightest bulb, and he's grappling with some major privilege issues. However, I never thought he was looking for a cookie and in fact he flicked off a number of cookies with some discomfort. Instead, he's navigating the world convinced he's inherited the sins of the father, something I felt quite a bit of empathy for. As for the 'arise, oppressed people' broadsheets- while clearly that was not the savviest use of his duke-capital, I did not think that he placed any of the workers in danger. However, to those reviewers wringing their hands over what would happen to the workers left out to dry... assuming the factory workers would strike simply because some anonymous fool dumps a pile of brochures at their place of business is just a bit silly. (Think North and South- quite a bit more to striking that that- poor Boucher!) I think we can excuse Robert of quite a bit (although not stupidly bad tactics- thank goodness he has Minnie).

As for the wedding night- I loved it. Best surprise of the book. Best angst of the book goes to Robert's youthful encounter with Oliver's mom and dad.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.