Cathy 's Reviews > Death's Daughter

Death's Daughter by Amber Benson

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, mythology, paranormal, urban, series-reminder, read-in-2009
Read in March, 2009

It's really a 2.5, but I just couldn't give it my average/3 rating. The main character is a wise-ass, but not clever. As much as I hate to do Buffy comparisons, the author was Tara on Buffy and has written a character who's clearly supposed to be very similar to Buffy. Smartass, dumb blond moments (although not a blond I think, but there sure are some dumb comments), etc. The thing is, the book doesn't have the Buffy wit or heart. It's got the fluff but no substance to hold it up. I like the idea of having characters from other pantheons (Kali, Persephone), but I hate seeing them completely trivialized. It was just too silly, too shallow and too dumb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's Daughter.

03/14/2009 page 85
23.68% "Silly, not quite as witty as she hopes, but cute so far."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Martini Dozier I disagree with the Buffy statement as well. I didn't see any similarities to Buffy.. at all. Buffy was never obsessed with clothes or contemplating jumping every man she came across. I will admit that I pictured Amber in the role, but I still would not compare her to any Whedon characters. Maybe Chance.. maybe, but even that is a stretch for me

Cathy I thought she was like Buffy because she likes to make at lot of wisecracks and snappy comebacks, and to shop and do girly stuff. One of the central aspect of Buffy was always her trying to be a normal girl even though she had such a dark and dangerous job, very similar to the way this character just wants to be normal (to the point that she purposely forgot her entire past and family). Seems pretty similar to me, but of course you guys are welcome to disagree. I love Buff, but this just didn't work for me. I know that Benson has a lot of fans for her Chance stuff and comic books, so I was really looking forward to this. But it was just too flip for me, even though I liked the basic concepts of her being Death's daughter and the mythology stuff.