Keith's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

M 50x66
Mar 14, 09

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read in March, 2009

Enter a dark world, one filled with promise that never materializes. Life drones, work consumes, woman are selfish, deceipt is rewarded at least as much as anything, and honor does not exist. This world is without God, but filled with supernatural underpinings.

Set as a mystery, the book is very descriptive, and really engages the reader from the first couple of pages. If you are a flaming liberal you will love this book, but a conservative mind will find the end sickening.

I love dogs, which was what attracted me to read this book. The dogs, which are supposed to be special. They are only special because, with no real reason... They show no merit in and of themselves (besides Almodine) and all of the compliments from strangers are meant to frame their special status.

I think that Mr Wroblewski has put his dark, jaded view of life, incompatibility to commitment, and lack real happiness into a mystery novel. Intelligent and clever use of language, but reading this book will only make you sad.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.