Elizabeth's Reviews > Wonder When You'll Miss Me

Mar 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009
Read in January, 2009

While Davis is clearly a talented writer, I'm not sure the subject matter of this troubled-teen novel elevates it much above the less literary examples of the genre I couldn't stop reading during my adolescence. Perhaps if I hadn't overindulged in such trash then, I would be better able to overlook the commonalities between it and Davis' book, and focus on the book's merits alone. There are many. Davis not only has a keen eye for detail, but she narrates a teenage voice in a way that is both believable and compelling. In the beginning, the writing style alone drew me into the narrative. However, by about halfway through I grew tired of the angst-induced repetition. Yes, self-esteem issues take a long time to get over, but that doesn't translate into pages of rehashed scenarios. Further, the "finding yourself amongst circus freeks" trope felt both tired and obvious. Had Davis lived longer, I would have been curious to see if this book would have held a candle to the (likely) superior books she may have written. However, as it is I'm tempted to suggest her untimely death has elevated the critical acclaim surrounding this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder When You'll Miss Me.