Trish's Reviews > Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America - And Found Unexpected Peace

Losing My Religion by William Lobdell

Mar 04, 13

bookshelves: nonfiction, religion
Read in March, 2009

This wasn't as meaty philosophically as I would have liked. The author didn't just turn his back on organized religion, he quit god. Jeez, for that, I would have expected a little more. Yes, organized religions can be barbarous, and, as practiced in many churches of every sect, hideously pretentious and even laughably ridiculous.

What kept me reading was not the author's struggle (ho hum), but his recounting once again the horrific revelations about the leadership of the Catholic church as they strove to hide from their parishioners the abuse their priests wreacked on innocent children. Raised Catholic, I know whereof I speak when it comes to authoritarianism, god rest their merry little souls.

I was interested to read in the last pages that hell isn't mentioned anywhere anymore--churches believe their clientele find it off-putting. Yes, I would think so. Let's hope there is still a little corner somewhere for these men of god to rest their weary little fannies.

The author tells us that he decided to write this book when news articles on his de-conversion initiated a huge response from his paper's readers. That's exactly what Marley and Me author John Grogan said about his decision to write his bestseller. All I can say is that religion is something most of us can talk about from experience, so it does tend to draw an audience.

Have to edit this to add a great article found 3/30/10.
--------------------

Years later now, and Cardinal Keith O'Brien, UK Catholic leader, admits to sexual misconduct. A spokesperson at the Vatican was on television saying that "he's sorry. He won't do it again." Somehow this made me think suddenly of the confessions this man must have heard over the years. No matter what Catholics got up to in their private life, i.e., "I slept with my brother's wife," to "I hit my little brother because I hated him for breaking my doll," we were forgiven by just asking. Perhaps he thought after all the forgiving he's done for us, it is time to forgive him. He's only a man, after all. The only thing is that he has not claimed to be "just a man" all these years but something special: God's ordained minister. Anyway, time to declare if ever there was that emperor has no clothes. I'd forgive him, but not the crime, if there was one. For that, he'd have to pay, just like everyone else.

Not speaking of this man in particular, but of the abuses in general, I don't think the sanctity of the confessional speaks to criminal activity. Somehow we are back in that sticky wicket: can/should confessional revelations be used as evidence in a court of law?

Anyway, just thought I would put these thoughts here since I don't have anywhere else to put it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing My Religion.

03/14/2009 page 25
8.59% "like the title better than the book so far, but am willing to give it more time."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Suna (new) - added it

Suna I have yet to read this book, but I have to thank you in any case for helping me cotton on to Slate. It's effing brilliant.

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve That's an incredibly powerful article.