Jennn's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Mar 17, 2009

bookshelves: non-fic, 2009
Read in March, 2009

It's a gimmick and at least Jacobs doesn't try too hard to make it anything else. The writer is human without being unlikable. He suffers from flaws that many of us share and I can easily relate to him. The book is basically everything I thought it would be, for better or worse. I enjoyed his stories of meeting so many different groups and individuals and really put a human face on Christianity, again for better or worse. I liked how he pointed out that even though it's one books, how many different sects the Bible spawned - and to the Fundamentalists that even they pick and choose in the Bible; it's unavoidable.

The downside is that it is a bit predictable. I didn't gain much insight spiritually, but I did like the odd, quirky laws in the Bible. I can see how the author tries very hard to share his spirituality and the changes he goes through, but unfortunately, it's lost in translation.

I enjoyed reading it, but I don't think it will stick with me as much as I hoped that it would. Although, there is a fantastic scene when he goes to Israel and a friend takes him to a cafe. After they eat, she shows him a plaque commemorating those who had died a few years previously in a terrorist attack in the same cafe. He was stunned. She told him that it's not uncommon, that many of the cafes around had similar plaques. But she went on to state that because she loved her country so much, she could face the possibility of death each day. I couldn't help but feel awed and a little envious.

The last note is short: I wanted more crazy Uncle Gil stories!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.

03/14/2009 page 315