Paula's Reviews > Best Served Cold

F_50x66
Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, series
Read from November 28 to December 03, 2010

If, like me, you've read a lot of fantasy books then you'll have doubtless become bored with elves and dwarves and the like, not to mention blase about sword and sorcery. That was why, when Joe Abercrombie's first books (the First Law trilogy, which starts with The Blade Itself) turned up on the fantasy bookshelf, I was one of those who fell head over heels for both his style and characterisation.

Now he's written that trilogy, the author has gone on to write two books so far set in the same universe, so the world inhabited by his characters overlaps and we don't just get new folks to love/loathe. In 'Best Served Cold', we're introduced to Monza, a woman whose world is destroyed and who decides to take a bloody revenge on the seven men she blames.

True to form for a Joe Abercrombie book, Monza's original plan gains momentum and in time she cannot do anything but hang on for the ride as she's swept along - we learn along the way how much of what is said about her own history is a fabrication and how little control she had over the person she became. As usual, the author pens an excellent tale where you can't quite see how it's all going to work out, as there are absolutely no guarantees for anyone's survival or success.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best Served Cold.