Caroline's Reviews > The Shadow Queen

The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop

Mar 22, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
Read in March, 2009

This story was a great mix of all of the previous Black Jewels novels and some new and very interesting characters. I loved that this resolved a lot from The Invisible Ring, as well as some from the actual trilogy. This deals with the descendants of the characters from The Invisible Ring, as well as the cast that readers of the series know and love from the trilogy.

I had some issues with Theran Grayhaven, the descendant of Jared and Lia. He's not a very likable character for most of the novel, whereas the queen, for me, was immediately likable. Something about a very "plain" girl in comparison to all the glamorous characters that normally are in Bishop's story was very refreshing. I loved watching her story unfold, and seeing Theran develop into less of an annoying prick.

I loved the balance between the old cast and the new. A lot of this story is actually about Jaenelle, Daemon, Saeton and Lucivar, not just Cassidy and Theran. I wish she had spent a bit more time concentrating on the new characters, since at times the story of Jaenelle really did seem to overpower the new story, but it worked well and I loved the entire story.

This was a story that really hooked me and kept me reading too late into the night, all while I was trying to prolong it as long as possible! While this could be read as a stand-alone, I can't see readers getting as much enjoyment out of it if they haven't read the previous novels (with the exception of Tangled Webs, which there's one little reference to it in this entire novel so it could be skipped) since there are so many references and inside jokes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Queen.

03/17/2009 page 37
8.62% "I couldn't NOT pick this up. Was geeking out over the fact it's somewhat a follow-up to The Invisible Ring! *geeks*"
03/18/2009 page 109
25.41% "Keeping me up way past my bedtime!"
show 2 hidden updates…