crayolaab's Reviews > My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by P.N. Elrod

Mar 30, 10

bookshelves: 2009, paranormal, anthology
Read in February, 2009

This is a collection of lots of very short stories. I read it primarily for the Sherrilyn Kenyon story, with a side trip to Charlaine Harris's tale.

The first story, Spellbound, by LA Banks was just weird. I didn't really like it and had to force myself to finish it. Mostly I just had no interest in the Hatfield/McCoy feud and I didn't feel like the supernatural aspect was really explained at all.

Something Borrowed, by Jim Butcher, was a little bit more interesting but just didn't manage to capture me. In these really short stories (~30 pages each), it's hard to really develop the characters and this story suffered in that respect.

Rachel Caine's Dead Man's Chest was really interesting. I will definitely look for more of her work. I was a bit confused at first, not having many clues of the time period in which it was set, but once I sorted that out I enjoyed this one!

"All Shook Up" by P.N. Elrod was charmingly adorable, and would probably appeal to Elvis fans everywhere.

The Wedding of Wylda Serene didn't do it for me at all. Again, it suffered from the lack of space to really develop the paranormal aspects, which just ended up being weird.

Lori Handeland's tale about jager-suchers was simple and sweet. It draws you into her world and gives plenty of details, but the plot is not terribly challenging - perfect for such a short tale. It's just a glimpse of what you'll find in her longer books, as near as I can tell, which I look forward to reading.

Tacky, by Charlaine Harris, faces the challenge of vampires and werewolves who have to get along for a cross-species wedding. When the hmans plot against them, they have to work to save the day!

A Hard Day's Night-Searcher is Sherrilyn Kenyon's contribution. I was really entertained to see what might happen if a story about the Dark-Hunters was ever written! I think she did a good job of explaining her Dark-Hunter world without bogging down the short tale with details.

Susan Krinard's "...Or Forever Hold Your Peace" again tried to fit just a bit too much in one short tale. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding.