Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > Forever Amber

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

May 02, 08

Read in January, 1968

I first read this book in 1968 and started a life-long interest in Restoration England. This novel (the unabridged version, if you please) I smuggled away to read at night. Back then, such books were not considered suitable reading material for 12 year olds.

Amber herself reminds me now of Scarlett O'Hara in GWTW (a book I didn't read until much later). Besides, my interest was not in the heroine but in the times, the events and (naturally) King Charles II himself. Okay, I'll admit to being a bit smitten by Bruce Carlton.

Reading the book again in my late 20s I still found much to enjoy. Pure escapism in an historical setting. One can do far, far worse than read this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Amber.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb Hi Jennifer -- Your review piqued my interest in Restoration England. Can you recommend other books set in this period? One of my favorite books is Restoration by Rose Tremain. I highly recommend it!
Deb

Jennifer (JC-S) Hi Deb,

Jean Plaidy wrote a number of novels set in this period, which my much younger self enjoyed. I agree with you about Restoration, I enjoyed it as well.

Of course, now I am trying to think of the other books I've read in the period, none are coming to mind. :-(

Judy Meats 12?! Oh my!