Kathleen Houlihan's Reviews > These Happy Golden Years

These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Mar 13, 09

I have read the Little House series a number of times now -- nearly always in the winter it seems; perhaps because so much of the books seems to take place when the family is struggling through blizzards and cold weather! Despite elements that make me occasionally cringe (in the first book, there's a song about an "old darkie"), and the conflicting emotions I feel when skimming quickly past these passages (these songs were real...the events were real...that is really what people were called back then...and yet, I somehow wish they could be removed if only to restore the simple purity of the stories), I continue to read the entire series every few years. The stories of hard work and perseverance will never grow old. The way the family makes due with so little, and yet with such happiness, is always a refreshing reminder of not only how good we have it now, but that perhaps there are aspects to that way of living that deserve to have a place in the modern world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Happy Golden Years.