Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)'s Reviews > Dead and Gone

Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris

May 12, 09

bookshelves: charlaine_harris, vampires, authors_i_have_met, arcs
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** In the 9th Sookie book we are basically facing the fall-out from 2 revelations: That Sookie's Great-Grandfather is Fairy Royalty, and that the Were's have finally revealed themselves. Each has results ending in not very good things for Sookie, mainly kidnapping from psycho fairies who are responsible for her parents deaths (I always knew there had to be more to the flash flood) and Arlene plotting with the Fellowship to kill Sookie and string her up on a cross. There is also requisite murder that shines a light on Jason (this time it's his pregnant ex), and of course really has nothing to do with him other than his lineage and a gay were-panther falling in love with him. Very enjoyable, though I felt the ending needed a little more explanation...how will Amelia handle Tray's death? Why does Sookie think that Bill was more willing to risk his life for her than Eric? Why was Eric detained? I don't like that these will hold over and therefore not be answered for at least a year.

Also 2 things I found odd: Being a pregnant woman in this book was not a good thing to be, both Crystal and Claudine died (Tara should watch out!) Also to indicate that Sookie was always on edge she was always "jumping an inch" or 2 or 6 to indicate how freaked she was and this was very repetitive, there are other ways to indicate the wariness and paranoia of people other than this hackneyed phrase.

Plus I loved the Vampire reality show (which you can read on her website already if you can't wait).
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead and Gone.

Comments (showing 1-21)

dateUp arrow    newest »

The Holy Terror *** spoiler alert! ***

Man, this was an intense book!

I have to agree that it's going to be a long wait for the next book to find out why Bill saved her and not Eric.

It broke my heart when Niall said that Claudine had gone to the Summerlands, I really liked her a lot.

Michelle I want to know how you got a hold of the book before its release date in May--I'm dying of anticipation over here!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Michelle wrote: "I want to know how you got a hold of the book before its release date in May--I'm dying of anticipation over here!" I read an ARC of the book which is an Advance Reader Copy. These copies get handed around the publishing community to get buzz on the book before publication, though Charlaine really doesn't need buzz, her books are that good in my mind. I've been in publishing for years and was lucky enough to have a friend who lent me hers. Luckily it's now into the mere days till publication, so you don't have too long to wait now.

message 18: by Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (last edited Apr 29, 2009 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) "It broke my heart when Niall said that Claudine had gone to the Summerlands"
I totally agree, and she was so happy!

The Holy Terror Michelle wrote: "I want to know how you got a hold of the book before its release date in May--I'm dying of anticipation over here!"

I work at a Barnes and Noble and we get to check out hardcover books when they come in. We got it in last Friday and I finished it on the following Sunday! Just one of the perks of working in a book store ...

message 16: by The Holy Terror (last edited Apr 29, 2009 08:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Holy Terror Elizabeth wrote: "I totally agree, and she was so happy""

I know! It makes me wonder though why she was killed off in the first place. I'm hoping it wasn't random and that it'll mean something more in the next book. Right now it just seems like such a waste. : (

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) I'm guessing it will have ramifications, because do we know if Claude is staying, and how will the fairies who want to stay in the human world react...see even though we got this book early, I want the next one now!

The Holy Terror Yeah, since we read it early we have an even longer wait for the next book. Oh well, it was totally worth it!

And I was thinking about it today, will Claude stay? He doesn't like humans but he does like his business, but does he like it enough to stick around alone? All the money he's built up won't mean anything anymore if the fairy world is sealed up but I'm guessing he stayed in the human world for some reason. Maybe he only stayed because Claudine liked humans? Who knows really.

Kristin I have a question about this review. You mention that Eric was detained. I didn't see anything like that in my retail copy of Dead and Gone. I guess your copy was an ARC? Did it say who he was detained by? Sookie was upset that Eric didn't save her and he says he had a reason but will explain later. So was that the reason -- he was detained by someone?

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) I just got the feeling that it would have to be a someone to keep him away from Sookie when she needed him that badly...I just got my real copy today, so time to re-read, if I find the exact passage I'll tell you.

Kristin Elizabeth wrote: "I just got the feeling that it would have to be a someone to keep him away from Sookie when she needed him that badly...I just got my real copy today, so time to re-read, if I find the exact passag..."

I had the same feeling but when I read your review I thought maybe the ARC was a little different and perhaps gave more of a clue as to what happened. Anyway, thanks for the speedy reply! :)

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Usually by the time ARCs are out they rarely change anything, I just checked the pagination, there's even the exact number of pages too, so probably nothing much different.

Katy-Del Kristin wrote: "I have a question about this review. You mention that Eric was detained. I didn't see anything like that in my retail copy of Dead and Gone. "

When she wakes up in the hospital he makes a comment along the lines of "don't you think I would have been there if I could have been?" and then says he will explain later. I guess the explination will come in the next book. It better be good.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Thanks Katy-Del, that's then line I was thinking of!

Becky i didnt click on that claudine had died, i thought she had gone back to fairy land. im dying to find out which vampire niall ment when he said "the vampire will take care of you" did he mean bill or eric? does anybody know when the next book comes out?

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Yeah, the wait is always the worst! The next book comes out in a matter of weeks! May 4th.

Natalie Shannon wrote: "Another thing that was repetitive for me was how she kept saying she was up at 8, or 8:30, or just before 8, and how that was early for her. I think she said something to that effect at least three times."

I noticed that too! She's said it in previous books as well.

Was anybody else sad that Tray died? I felt so bad for him and Amelia. I wonder how the relationship between Sookie and Amelia is going to be now.

On to the next book to find out!

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) I loved Tray. His going is sad. At least the next book is already out :P

Emma But sure claudine didn't die she went to summerlands

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Yeah, but she wanted to have her baby and live happily in the human world...

Emma oh yeah "/ i know... bill really should have just died :L <3