Jane's Reviews > Fire Logic

Fire Logic by Laurie J. Marks

Mar 13, 09

bookshelves: queer-protagonist, fantasy-sci-fi, elemental-logic, chromatic-protagonist, female-protagonist
Recommended to Jane by: skadi
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

The Elemental Logic series was recommended by skadi in coffeeandink's recs thread:
Laurie J. Marks has a fabulous Elemental Logic series that I've been recommending to everyone I know who enjoys fantasy/sf. Most of the characters are white, but Zanja (who is the hero of the first book, Fire Logic, and a big player in the following books) is a character of color. She is amazing. She's an example of a book character you grow to love and respect so much you find yourself forgetting she's not real.

Anyway, the entire series is very philosophical in how it deals with war, peace, love, and the families that we make (and aren't born into). It's also extremely gay friendly, which is something that I really appreciate. I can't recommend these books enough.

For some reasons, the word Elemental recalls to me the cartoon series, Avatar: the Last Airbender (not for any specific reasons, but just a random word association) so I decided to pick up the series.

The Elemental Logic series (not finished with one last book to be published) is not without any racial stereotypes, I don't think, but it is obvious that all the characters in this series are written with care, respect and love. Fire Logic is about the individual's journey and triumphs, of finding oneself and partnership, but as the series progresses, it concerns itself with more familial ones. The characters, those born with elemental powers, are guided by their elemental logic: fire prescience, air truth, water time and earth healing. Their lives are consumed by the turmoils of war between Shaftal, a country who are devoted to the land, and Sainnites, a nation of refugees who only remembers how to conquer.

The series is absorbing and addictive to read with wonderful character development. However, some of the inventions and customs, their developments felt like cop-outs to me, being too similar to that in our real world. I would have prefer to see how the path to these developments have been diverted between our world and theirs. I was also jarred by a particular stiff and blunt phrase, but I think this reaction is more of a result of my personal hangup than anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire Logic.