Kathrynn's Reviews > Feel the Heat

Feel the Heat by Cindy Gerard

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: romance-suspense, series-black_ops_gerard, own, 2009, theme-former_military, theme-heroine_hard_to_like, reviewed, theme-mild
Recommended for: Fans of this series
Read in November, 2009

Nice continuation in this series, but I didn't care for the heroine, B.J. Chase. She was too cold-hearted for me and took too long to develop. Although, when she went undercover as a "dingbat blond" it helped me to like her a little more--most of the time. Her "afraid to get involved," and "can't believe in love," based on the bad relationship her parents had seemed silly. She kept herself closed off from establishing true friendships for various reasons that had me rolling my eyes. She was on the fast track to burning out/up and turning into her mother, a lush.

What was with all the mentions of the new car?

On the flip side was the hero, Raphael "Choirboy" Mendoza, a character I found to be oo-la-la sexy, patient, and--unbelievably--ready to beat his spirit up with repeated attempts to win B.J.'s heart. I realize he studied B.J. when she wasn't watching. He watched how she interacted with others and decided she had a cold-heart, but a lot of potential to love. He even threatened to throw her off the team when it looked like she couldn't work with The BOIs. Only then did B.J. back down, eat crow, and play by the rules. But, I grew tired of their verbal skirmishes and became more interested in the secondary romance that popped in and out of this story.

The writing was A+, creative, and filled with what I've come to expect from this author. She can spin a good tale, fill it with action, romance, weave in past characters from the Bodyguard series (Amy and Dallas Garrett), and throw-in a sideline romance that had me wanting more. Whew!

On the down side, my least favorite plot is the Columbian Drug Lord theme. Felt the situation--tied into al-Qaeda and bin Laden--too far fetched, and the way Rafe and B.J. waltzed into "that" without back-up too unbelievable. They were incredibly lucky and felt a "don't try this at home" notice should be attached to the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feel the Heat.

11/09/2009 page 112
30.11% "We'll see...."
11/09/2009 page 232
62.37% "Holding my interest, but needs to pick up."
11/10/2009 page 372
100.0% "Review coming."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Great review K!

Auntee Couldn't warm up to B.J., huh?:)

Kathrynn Nope. I didn't care for her. She was just to hard. Loved the story with Stephanie and Joe, do you think that was their story or there will be more for their characters?

Auntee Jeez, I hope they get more than that. He did hint about "you don't know me, and what I've done" so maybe that will come between them? Things seem to be going too well for them right now--there's bound to be a fly in the ointment!

I just got an email newsletter from CG the other day, and now I forgot who she said she was writing about next! I think she mentioned something about there being at least three more books...darn my lousy memory!

message 5: by Kathrynn (last edited Nov 12, 2009 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrynn That's what I thought. Joe eluded to having personal problems that "may" cause him to run like a coward to a foreign country, but I bet a few years go by and he has to "rescue" Stephanie from something again and there's a major confrontation because he ran away. Whew!

Have I read too many of these or what? LOL

message 6: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Kathrynn *laughs* choirboy!

Auntee Kathrynn wrote: "That's what I thought. Joe eluded to having personal problems that "may" cause him to run like a coward to a foreign country, but I bet a few years go by and he has to "rescue" Stephanie from some..."

Okay, it wasn't in the email, it was on her message board at her website.:) Faulty memory...
Anyway, the next book is called "Risk No Secrets", due out June 2010, and is about Savage ("Papa Bear"). The next one after that is slated to be Doc's story.

Kathrynn Thanks for the info, Auntee. :-)