Marie's Reviews > The Perfect Game

The Perfect Game by J. Sterling

Jan 22, 13

bookshelves: romantic, cute-couples, cute
Read from January 01 to 02, 2013

THIS BOOK...... IS JUST..... **SHAKES HEAD*..... READ IT!

He exhaled. “You’re my game changer, you know that?”
“Game changer?” I shook my head, unsure of his meaning.
“The one girl who changes everything. The one you’d give it all up for.” He brushed his thumb down my cheek.

So... Jack Carter had enough charm and attitude to get anyone... Even Cassie although she wouldn't admit it at first. I loved that quote, Cassie in the end came so mean more to him than baseball and even though they were both screwed up and had major trust issues, they worked.

Melissa.. Well I adored her. She was the bestest best friend ever. And damn she was perceptive. She could see past everything and she was so wise, she helped them to no end.

“Glad you’re on board with this, Melis.” I smiled, encouraged by her attitude.
“Jack, you’re still an asshole but you’ve grown on me. And if you hurt Cassie, I’ll break your pitching arm. Capisce?”
“Capisce,”

She was protective, but she also gave everyone a chance and she was so straight and confident. I loved her. She described them both best when she described their relationship as 'the perfect mess.'

“Jesus, I’ve never met two people more scared to let someone love them than the two of you,” Melissa remarked with a frown.
I opened my mouth to protest when she continued, her ponytail bobbing from side to side as she moved her head. “And don’t even try to deny it. You’re both all messed up from your stupid parents. Cassie here,” she lifted her hand in Cassie’s direction, “with her dad’s constant lies and inability to follow through on even the simplest, most mundane thing, has been disappointed and let down most of her life.”
Her hand pointed in my direction. “And you, with your mom up and leaving, telling you it was your fault because you were a bad kid. You’re convinced that no one will ever stick around. That eventually, they’ll leave you too. And somewhere in your twisted, screwed-up psyche, you probably think you deserve it.”
“Melissa took a quick breath and then delivered her final assessment. “You’re both so screwed up alone that together you’re like the perfect mess.”

I think this was the moment when I first started falling for jack and I think it was the same for Cassie. You see when they first met at a frat party, Cassie said to him when he grabbed her that for every time they touched he owed her 50 cents. So on their first date Jack came prepared.. LOL

“First things first,” he said, pulling a paper bag from his jacket pocket. I heard the sound of metal clanking against fiberglass as he poured the entire contents of the bag onto our table.
“Fifty cents a touch, right? This oughta cover me for a while.” He grinned, obviously proud of himself, as he folded his arms behind his head and leaned into them.
I welcomed the heat rising in my cheeks. “Cute,” I admitted reluctantly, gathering the quarters into a pile at the end of the table, fighting a smile.
One for Jack Carter. Dammit.'

Jack shocked me when he became all serious, it just made me love him more knowing that he put down his front on the first date.

“He uncrossed his arms and leaned into the table again. “What does your heart tell you?”
“Who cares? My heart’s dumb! It believes anything,” I said, clutching at my chest above my left breast.
He laughed, his eyes glued to my hand. “Fine. What does your head tell you then?”
“My head questions everything and believes nothing.”
“So your head wants proof and your heart wants reassurance?”

Even Cassie told him things that she would never tell anyone else, it was obvious that they had some undeniable chemistry from the start.

“I looked into his eyes and then down at his mouth before continuing. “Have you ever noticed how pretty and beautiful words can be? How easy it is to say the things you think someone wants to hear. How you can affect a person’s entire day with just a few measly sentences?”
My slight smile dropped. “But when you don’t follow them up with any action, they’re completely pointless. They’re just sounds and syllables. But they mean absolutely nothing.” My gaze glossed over as my mind wandered.
He reached across the table for my hands, but pulled away quickly before he touched them. I watched as he grabbed two loose quarters from the pile and scooted them over to my side of the table. “Almost forgot.” He smiled before placing his hands on top of mine.
I tried not to smile, but failed. Heat swirled throughout my hands at his touch and I tried to tame the butterflies that flapped wildly in the pit of my stomach.”

I know she started falling for him because she wanted to be in his life, she wanted him to change, for her.

“I don’t really have serious conversations with girls,” he admitted reluctantly.
“That’s seriously pathetic, Jack.”
“If I haven’t conveyed to you by now that I have a hard time trusting people—” he started to explain before I cut him off.
“I know you do. And you have every right. But you have to start somewhere.” He breathed loudly and I finished, “Sooner or later you have to let people in.”
And by “people,” I really meant me.
Shit.
He leaned toward me and I could feel the warmth of his breath against my face. “I know,” he murmured, closing the small space between us even further.
He cupped my cheek in the palm of his hand and looked into my eyes. “I’m going to kiss you.” My heart hammered inside my chest as thoughts of stopping him raced through my mind.
“This doesn’t change anything,” I stammered, my defenses fading.
“It changes everything.”

And boy it did, change everything, I mean,

I found it amazing how Jack believed in himself and was so independent. He wasn't your average jock who cared all about his popularity or the hate he would receive from the ladies. He did what he wanted when he wanted and didn't give a damn or wasted his time on what people thought. He only cared about what he thought, and Cassie.

“But no one knew what it was like to be me. I’d finally met a girl who didn’t try to impress me. She didn’t care about what I did as an athlete; she cared about what I did as a person. I was jumping into this thing with both feet. Holding on to Cassie with both arms.”

This book also gave me my new favourite word. I think this was one of my favourite scenes in the book.

“I jerked back at his suddenly defensive tone. “Way to ruin a perfectly good moment with your craptitude.”
“Craptitude?” he mocked.
“Yeah. Your crappy attitude.”

This book was such a good read, and it was written from both Jack and Cassie's POV's which made it that much better because you got to know them both inside out, you got to know their insecurities and the meaning behind everything they said and done,

The ending to me was perfect, everything worked out the way it should've. Jack was right, that kiss did change everything and Cassie was obviously his game changer since everything he did in the end was for her. He's go anywhere, play anywhere, do anything as long as he had a baseball bat In one hand and her hand in his other. And he'd prove it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Game.

01/02/2013 "Haha so Cassie says to jack when they first meet everytime he touches her it's gonna cost him 50cents. So on their first 'date' this is what he does haha;

“Quarters spilled out in every direction. Several rolled off the table, spilling onto the floor and into my lap, the rest covering portions of the tabletop. “What the hell?”
“Fifty cents a touch, right? This oughta cover me for a while.” He grinned.

LOL." 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* Great review! I really loved all the quotes. It makes me want to read this book even more ;)

message 2: by Leah M (new)

Leah M ooh sounds quite inviting..lol

Marie Thanks Aimen! I couldn't not put them in, if I could I'd post double that amount! I love so much of this book! Leah. 2 words. Jack Carter. It doesn't get more inviting than that. You want to read this book. Trust me! Even if its just to meet him.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Oh my gosh I don't know how you read this.(view spoiler)

message 5: by Marie (last edited Jan 22, 2013 11:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marie I found that I could empathise and understand why he did the things he did. He was brought up in a broken home and didn't want his child in that sort of environment. Yeah he was wrong no denying that but he knew it too and he put himself through hell as his punishment. So I thought that he had his karma and I feel everyone deserves a second chance (view spoiler)

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle yea but thats still a total burn. And I know if someone did that to me....No mercy and no forgiveness,I would kick'em to the curb for good!

Marie I'm not saying just because I believe in second chances that I would you know give one to someone who cheated on me. But because we were in his head and knew him I could forgive him. Usually though guys just think theyll get away with it all an do it again. Haha!

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle lol so true!!! :D

Courtney I couldn't stand the cheating either and even worse was he was going to stay with the whore he cheated with!

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Courtney wrote: "I couldn't stand the cheating either and even worse was he was going to stay with the whore he cheated with!"

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Courtney Yea I raged about this book for awhile...I'm going to give the second book a shot but if he cheats on her again I'm going to find the author, sit her down, and give her a talkin to!

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Courtney wrote: "Yea I raged about this book for awhile...I'm going to give the second book a shot but if he cheats on her again I'm going to find the author, sit her down, and give her a talkin to!"

lol I'll back you up ;)

Marie Yeah but he didn't want his child brought up without a father, yeah he could have been present in the child's life but he wanted a home for him. He thought he had to stay with her to rectify his mistake and him having to give up Cassie was his punishment for his actions.
I get that.

Hmm yeah a cheat in the next book would do my head in. Im usually like you guys when It comes to cheating. I didn't find it acceptable by no means and his action weren't justified I just now that it was a mistake and he was truly sorry and it's not something he would do again.

I don't want another one though. The next book HAS to be different :)

Courtney Yea for me I can normally forgive cheating, like in Thoughtless. What took me to a whole other level pissed off is he thought the only way to have a happy family was to stay with a woman he couldn't stand or be happy with in the log run. Like being with a woman you hated and fought with is ever a good thing for your child to witness. I personally would want my parents to divorce and try and find happiness rather than stick it out and hate eachother for me. Now that I'm done with that rant lol. See this book pisses me off!! It makes me go nuts. I hate this almost as much as Taking Chances!!

message 15: by Danielle (last edited Jan 24, 2013 04:04PM) (new)

Danielle Hmmm... I see what you mean. But for me I can't stand cheating. If you truly loved someone you would not look at another person and think"hmmm he/she's hot. I want me some of that" ^_^ and yea why marry someone just for the sake of your child?...pffft

message 16: by Marie (last edited Jan 24, 2013 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marie I know it's stupid. Entering a loveless marriage will just cause more problems later on. But he didn't think like that his fucked up theory was he could hide the loveless relationship between him and his babies mom and maybe fall in love with her later on as time progresses. In his own fucked up way it makes sense but I don't agree with it, just understand the way he thinks. That bitch was manipulative too. She was one psycho gold-digging biatch.

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle hmph!! I hate gold diggers!

Courtney O and I fucking hated how he wouldn't wait for a DNA test

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle IKR!!!! What a dumbass ^_^

p.s. I just realized us 3 are having a full blown conversation on this book lol.

Courtney I know I need to stop because I'm gonna start throwing things lol well on a better bot my copy of Boundless just came in the mail ;)

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle lol same here. I had a mini tantrum b/c of this book ;P