Loren's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Dec 31, 12

bookshelves: auroras-books
Read in November, 2012

I read this aloud to my 9-year-old in advance of the movie. It was her second time through it this year, after her father read it to her earlier. I wondered if it would be scary (Gollum or the spiders) or sad (the deaths of characters you like), but she has already figured out that the main character can't be seriously harmed or the story can't continue, so she was never really frightened for Bilbo.

The language, though, was absolutely perfect for her. She identified completely with Bilbo's love of home and growing sense of adventure.

I won't give it 5 stars for the flaw in Tolkien's storytelling. SPOILER ALERT: A character comes out of nowhere to solve the problem we have spent the entire book reaching. While that's entirely realistic, it's just not done that way in fiction. Completely unsatisfying. I wonder how Peter Jackson will get around that.

We did take our daughter to the movie, which she thought was the best movie she'd ever seen and I thought was needlessly long and more violent than I expected for PG-13, even though it wasn't gory. The battle scenes in the novel go into much less detail while being more exciting for their brevity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.