Loren's Reviews > A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Stories

A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

Dec 31, 12

Read in December, 2012

Giving this 3 stars makes me look like a Scrooge, but really the lack of 5 stars is for the other stories included in the book, not the one you're familiar with. A Christmas Carol really does hold up on re-reading, even if you can quote parts of it aloud. I'd forgotten that Scrooge sees the housekeeper, the landlady, and the undertaker sell his stuff to the pawnbroker. One of them actually took his best shirt off his corpse in order to sell it. That's seriously harsh.

The book is filled out with other Christmas stories Dickens wrote after the success of A Christmas Carol. My favorite of those was "A Christmas Tree," which is a strange meditation on the ornaments Dickens loved (I think). He goes on at length about the strange toys he played with as a child before spinning into ghost stories. Was the Christmas ghost story a Victorian tradition? The ones he relates here are really fun.

I'm glad to have read more of Dickens' work, but I'm not sure I will reread these additional tales year after year. I'm looking forward, though, to reading A Christmas Carol aloud to my daughter next December, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Stories.