Joyce Yee's Reviews > Summer Campaign

Summer Campaign by Carla Kelly

Jan 02, 2013

This is one of the first few regency romances by Carla Kelly that I read, and it remains one of my favorites - the hero and heroine, Jack Beresford and Onyx Hamilton are both people who are survivors on many levels - Jack is a war veteran, and Onyx is an orphan who is overshadowed by the family who adopts her and her brother. They also are, like so many other characters in Carla's books, innately good people who strive to do the very best for others around them, despite their own personal fears and feelings of inadequacy.

When they first meet, Onyx is set to marry a minister who looks down on her and who criticizes her constantly, reminding her of the good fortune he is bestowing on her by choosing to marry her. Jack decides to "nudge" her away from her horrible fiancee, by asking her to help him care for his brother who is dying.

All of Carla's novels spoil me for others, because the levels of character and plot development are astounding - all of the characters in her stories are very well written, not just the hero and heroine, but also the supporting characters too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Campaign.