Miss H's Reviews > Collide

Collide by Gail McHugh

This will most likely contain spoilers, so if that isn't your thing, feel free to ignore this review entirely.

I should’ve put this book down and spared myself a headache. While I didn’t hate it, I certainly didn’t love it, either. Actually, I take that back. It was pretty awful.

One thing that got on my nerves was the fact that the characters laughed with almost everything they said, and most of what they said wasn’t even funny enough to warrant a laugh. Not to mention the fact that 'laughed' was used as a dialogue tag. It isn't a dialogue tag. It’s an action tag. There's a difference between action tags and dialogue tags. This means that they’re punctuated differently. You can’t speak an action. A period is needed as a separator between the action and the dialogue, not a comma.

While I had many issues with this book, the biggest annoyance for me was Emily herself. The girl was a martyr. I don't care how much Dillon did for her in the past, that didn't give him the right to treat her like crap. She claimed that there was no one from her past to compare his behavior to. She’s a 24-year-old woman. She never dated before her mom got sick? I find that hard to believe, you know, since everyone in the book couldn’t shut up about how beautiful she was. She was a weak, spineless woman who couldn’t seem to function without a man to take care of her. Dillon manipulated her at every turn. She wasn’t blind because she was naïve. She was blind because she refused to see what was right in front of her face. Everyone else could see Dillon for who he truly was. Everyone but her. She accepted every excuse he threw at her. Funny how the same didn't apply to Gavin. She wouldn't even give him the courtesy of allowing him to explain himself.

Dillon was possessive, controlling, and manipulative. I didn't understand what Emily saw in him. I didn't find him all that appealing, not even before he started showing his true colors.

“So you went swimming I see,” Dillon remarked, peeling the shirt from his body as he and Emily entered their room. Closing the door behind him, he shed the rest of his clothing and tossed them into a pile.

“Very good observation,” she laughed.

Dillon walked into the bathroom, turned on the shower, and got in. “I hope you kept the body that belongs to me covered up around my friend,” he called out.

[...]

“You’re not answering me, Emily. Did you cover yourself up?”

Walking into the bathroom, she let out a frustrated sigh. “Dillon, what do you see right now?” she asked, motioning her hand over her body, her voice a touch irritated by his question. It was clear to her that she wasn’t baring too much skin.

“What do I see right now? I see my hot girlfriend’s ass hanging out from beneath her college T-shirt. So why don’t you get in the shower and give your man what he needs?”

Apparently, it was inappropriate for her to wear a bikini around anyone but him. She compromised by wearing a T-shirt over it to go swimming...and even that wasn't good enough for him.

Later on, Emily’s reaction to that particular scene made me rage.

After downing a shot of tequila, a slight pang of guilt for not giving Dillon the little he had asked from her hit the pit of her stomach. He’d emotionally taken care of her through the most difficult time in her life, constantly complimented her on a daily basis—whether it be about her physical or educational attributes—and made her want for nothing financially. Sex in someone’s home—be it crowded or not—shouldn’t have been an issue in her mind.

Olivia, Emily’s friend, said it best:

“First, you need to stop feeling like you’re completely indebted to Dumbass, Emily. He did what any good boyfriend would’ve done. Nothing special.”

Between Dillon and Gavin, the obvious choice is Gavin. However, he didn’t really do it for me. I mean, he was sweet and all, but after a while, I just felt sorry for him. It was kind of pathetic. He went on and on about the connection between himself and Emily, how she was meant to be his, yet he had no problem lying to her face on Dillon’s behalf. To his credit, he did eventually come clean, but seriously, come on. I didn’t understand why he and Dillon were even friends. Actually, I wouldn’t call what they had a real friendship. He more or less tolerated Dillon. I don't know why he put up with him. I don't know why he did a lot of the things he did.

Overall, I didn’t feel like the characters were fully developed. I couldn’t really connect with them. Then again, maybe it’s because I have very little patience for stupidity. These characters were beyond stupid. Every last one of them. Well, everyone but Olivia. She was the only one with any common sense.

I found the book as a whole to be somewhat boring. It was overly long and wordy. The plot relied too heavily on contrived miscommunication and misunderstandings. Basically, it was angst for the sake of angst. It was also melodramatic and predictable. It had potential, but fell short on delivery.

One last thing. At first glance, I thought the couple on the book cover was two women. The guy’s arm doesn't look very manly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collide.

01/22/2013
53.0% "Snoozeville, USA. Why am I still reading this?"
01/22/2013
100.0% "The torture is finally over."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Valerie truth !

message 2: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa I'm glad someone finally mentioned his arm on the cover. Looks like a scrawny teenager IMO.

Miss H That works too. It's all kinds of awkward.

Hugholine Yes, yes, and yes to everything you said in your review. I can't believe I read such a long-ass book that contained such a small amount of story. A story that is not even finished yet. I'll have forgotten about it long before the sequel comes out, fortunately.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ THANK YOU!! I could not believe all the high reviews for this. I mentioned in my comments in that 1st sex scene with Dillon that there were way too many adjectives & descriptors. Then how everything was supposed to be funny but I kept scratching my head thinking I missed something! It felt like someone trying to use big words but not really understanding what they mean. For example when they're playing cards he says...
"I hold fear at bay for a minuscule amount of things in life, calling your bluff is not one of them"
So pretty much he's saying that there's almost nothing in life he's NOT afraid of and he IS scared of calling her bluff. I get what she meant but its not what she writes. There were so many of these I just gave up & stopped taking notes. I also found him more corny than appealing. And she was definately the poster girl for a TSTL heroine.

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina Pedrosa This is just like Thoughtless, right?! I HATED that book and your review pretty much says it all for me about that one, so no chance in HELL I'll be reading THIS one. :)

Virginia There are no words to fully express how much I can't stand Emily. I'm not a feminist but oh my god! she sets feminism back 60 years or more. She justified everything Dillon did and said and it was just ridiculous! I agree with everything you said about her. She was a major issue for me in this book. I mean, her mom was supposedly this wonderful independent woman, a single mom who raised 2 children on her own and yet emily was so weak and completely dependant on Dillon for everything! she even relied on him to get her a job!(less)

message 8: by Sunshine (last edited Feb 26, 2013 02:24PM) (new) - added it

Sunshine So far I agree with everything you've said! I am currently 68% through this book and if I didn't love my Kindle I would be throwing it repeatedly against the wall! Emily is the type of female character I loathe.

message 9: by Jules (new) - added it

Jules I applaud your review. I'm still pissed off that I stayed up to finish the book.

message 10: by iam (new)

iam Love your review... from the overuse of "laugh" to the Ewan McGregor image. I like your review so much, I tried to read others, but your profile is set to private. Ping me if you want to be friends. It would be my pleasure. :)

message 11: by Rianna (new)

Rianna @Nina, This book was nothing like Thoughtless. In Thoughtless, you could understand Keira's confliction because Denny was such a good boyfriend. In this, Emily was pathetic to stay with a cheating, manipulative alcoholic for the ENTIRE book. It made me want to tear my hair out. Completely agree with the review though, Emily was a martyr and didn't deserve either guy. I desperately wanted her to fight for Gavin at the end instead of him begging for her like he was constantly doing, unfortunately this was not to be. Won't bother with the sequel.

message 12: by Wen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wen Your review said everything I wanted but I am not that good with expressing my thoughts. Right on the stupidity of the chatacters, tge weakness of Emily And the whining of Gavin. Gavin seemed pathetic and felt like he was always begging for attention . I did not feel the connection with the story. It annoys me the book had potential and the author ruined it!

Christine Kuttnauer yup you nailed it! haven't finished yet but omg so disappointed I have been waiting for months finally read this and pulse and not feeling it at all!

Brittney And now I am pissed that I just bought both this book and the sequel. This sounds worse than Thoughtless.

Miss H Brittney wrote: "And now I am pissed that I just bought both this book and the sequel. This sounds worse than Thoughtless."

I haven't read Thoughtless (not sure I want to), but yeah. Collide was pretty painful. I refuse to read the sequel. I learned my lesson after reading this one.

Normis Thank you! your review couldn't have said what I was feeling about Emily's character better.

Rongrong I should have believed you!!!!

message 18: by Ramisha (new)

Ramisha I hate stupid girls so good to know. That's why I couldn't stomach 50 shades no matter how much my friend insisted I finish it.

Terri  This book is awful. I didn't hate Thoughtless....kinda liked it.

Devon The whole time I read this review I was like yes, yes, & yes. Everything I felt, you said.This book got high ratings and was a best seller and I just felt like I was missing something the whole time. I actually felt guilty upon finishing this that instead of feeling sympathy for Emily because she's in a confusing, abusive relationship, I just felt mad. I honestly almost put the book down the last 1/4 of it because her actions pissed me off that bad. I understand that not every story can have strong characters due to the situation but her character is so weak and naive that it just hurts to read.What really kills me is that at one point, she has the out. She's broken up with Dillon & Gavin is there and she refuses to listen to him almost on principle that she feels like she has the right to be hurt and indignant.

Michelle Michaels OMG. YES. I just wrote a review very similiar to this. I am SO happy that someone else was so infuriated with Emily's weakness and complete idiocy...I really could not stand it! I was getting so heated reading how she kept taking Dillon back and not thinking twice about it...it annoyed the crap out of me how she had no back bone and let him get away with wahtever and believed everything he said YET WOULDNT LET GAVIN EXPLAIN HIMSELF ABOUT GINA

UGH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU now I dont feel crazy!

message 22: by Ashe (new)

Ashe I think... you just saved me the headache
I cant stand weak women.
I'll tolerate naive for a bit before I give up.
Thank you for the heads up. I wont be wasting my time on a book id force myself to finish because I paid for it.
Hate doing that