Sarah Beaudoin's Reviews > Concrete, Volume 3: Fragile Creature

Mar 14, 2009

bookshelves: comics
Recommended to Sarah by: Dave
Read in March, 2009

I am impressed with the depth of this book, and with how sympathetic of a character Concrete is. Concrete agrees to work on a film shoot, providing brute strength and performing tasks that would otherwise be automated. He's treated as a piece of equipment by many on the shoot but at no point does his humanity falter, which is impressive considering he's essentially a living rock.

Paul Chadwick accomplishes in Volume 3 what many graphic novelists do not - with few words he creates characters that are real. As a graphical character, Concrete does not have a lot of features to manipulate yet Chadwick (also the artist) manages to imbue a sensitivity and vulnerability to Concrete that is quite remarkable. In some ways I'd love to see more of Concrete's story in a non-graphical format, just to see how Chadwick would expand the story, but at the same time, I have a hunch that without actually seeing Concrete represented in art and truly seeing how fragile a creature made of concrete can be, the story would be much less affecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Concrete, Volume 3.