Natalie's Reviews > The Greatest Salesman In The World

The Greatest Salesman In The World by Og Mandino

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: self-help, fiction, non-fiction
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm not a fan of this one. It started out great. It was nice to have a self help book set as an interesting fiction story. It was a nice twist to have him give the cloak to the Christ child. Although I think it was presumptuous to have the light sent forth at the birth of the Savior "follow" him.

I also found the scrolls written oddly. It was like reading a discombobulated journal entry from someone. Someone writing at that time surely would take more effort to put together clearly written objectives... especially on leather scrolls. I also did not agree with all the information presented in the scrolls. It was some truth sprinkled in with a bit of the authors interpretation of truth. He puts it in a biblical times setting yet his scrolls remind me of the scripture that says:
Matthew 15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

I was also not impressed with the prominent characters that he drew into the story. Specifically the well-revered apostle, Paul, who was given these "scrolls" of success. I believe Mandino was a little arrogant in alluding to the idea that these "truths" he wrote were ones that an apostle of God adhered to and which garnered his success. If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't he get his lessons on living from God and writings of the apostles and prophets of the past?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Salesman In The World.