Terry's Reviews > The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears at the World's Most Famous Cooking School in Paris

The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir

Once you get past the whole privilege part of this book (as in, people [ Flinn :] who have tens of thousands of dollars to spare in their savings; as in, people [ Flinn's boyfriend :] who have made "smart investments" and can afford to live in Paris for an indeterminate amount of time simply as a support system for someone else; little things like that) it's a reasonably charming example of the genre (American Francophiles in Paris). Flinn is self-aware enough to acknowledge that she's pretty lucky. She's a good writer and is honest about her fears and embarrassments. If you are a foodie and if you enjoy the minutiae of classical cooking rules (I am a truly atrocious cook but I absolutely love things about cooking and food and especially the minutiae of classical cooking rules), you'll enjoy this book. I would rate it vastly superior to Julie & Julia, rather far above Almost French, but somewhat beneath Tender at the Bone or Comfort Me With Apples.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry.