Lonica's Reviews > American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

Mar 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: ya-class

This book was a bit difficult to follow in the begining, with all the different plot lines, but I was impressed with the way it came together at the end. I think that teens would be drawn to this book mainly because of the images. The color illustrations were beautiful and eye-catching. Many reluctant readers would be willing to pick this book up!

This book addresses the issues of loyalty, heritage, life choices, and the interconnectedness of our decisions. It was interesting to see how the choice that one character made effected all the other characters.

Obviously, the story is not entirely realistic. I thought that the emotions of Jin Wang and Danny were entirely believable. Teenagers would most likely feel the way these boys do and react in the same way. I thought that they were well-depicted.

I think that this graphic novel would really sell itself if it was displayed well. Like I mentioned, the color illustrations are so intriguing that I think a teen would easily pick it up and be enticed to read it a bit more. It might also be a good idea to set up the story a bit for the readers so they understand that three different tales are going to be told--this would help allieviate reader frustration that might occur.

5Q, 4P, M/J/H

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.