John's Reviews > Land of Echoes

Land of Echoes by Daniel Hecht

Dec 29, 07

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in December, 2007

Setting = excellent: I've never been to the area, but felt as thought I'd been raised there - the imagery is that vivid!

Plot = good: Kind of a combined rating ... the mystery/occult angle was done well, but Julietta's love life was as painful as a Harlequin much of the time. Cree's thoughts veered that way at times, but were largely kept in check so as not to detract from the main story.

Characters = fair: Cree was her usual self, as was Joyce (whose nasal NY accent is a hoot on audio). Edgar was almost non-existent, mooning around after Cree to provide a love triangle aspect. Even Julietta comments to Cree about it at the end. Julietta herself came off as self-absorbed, living in the past carrying her bitterness against Garrett McCarty. Maybe he wasn't such a great guy, but he was carried as a villain rather too far for me.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Land of Echoes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

A-bookworm Thank you for knowing the difference between a review and a book report.

John Thanks - I loathe plot re-hashing (except where absolutely necessary); that's what the book synopsis is for.

A-bookworm Amen to that!

message 4: by Arika (new)

Arika I know this is a little late, but does Dr. Paul Fitzpatrick make it into this one, or no?

John To be honest, I do not recall a single detail of this book after all these years.

message 6: by Arika (new)

Arika I thought you might not, but you were the only reviewer to mention specific characters so I thought I'd give it a go. I just finished the first book in the series and found it to be ok, but would read the second if it developed the one relationship I found compelling. After reading reviews of the 3rd installment though I think it's best I simply leave this series behind.