William Beesley's Reviews > Battlefield Earth

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

Dec 31, 10

Read in March, 2009

As a Mormon I feel a sense of gratitude to L. Ron Hubbard for coming up with a religion with followers that most people perceive as being bigger weirdos than Mormons.

The book is good fun. An against all odds, buckskin rags to laser beam riches, story of a poor caveman named Johnny Goodboy who ends up the most powerful entity/person in the galaxy and annihilates an entire race of nasty overlord bugbears in the process. Yea it is pure crap but its pure crap with a Tom Selleck mustache

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battlefield Earth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Terral I haven't read Battlefield Earth. I think L. Ron Hubbard is a complete joke and con-artist, but perhaps the smartest con-artist that's come along in a long while. I actually giggled when you said you felt a sense of gratitude for Hubbard. I'm sure it was like a breath of fresh air when about, oh I don't about 20 or 30 years ago, Hubbard's peeps started getting the attention and now in the past few years all the press thanks to Tom Cruise going nuts. So, needless to say maybe y'all need to send them a care package to say "thanks", lol.

Claire Your review of this book is spot on!One minute I'd be really enjoying it and thinking it was brilliant, the next I'd be thinking "what the... this is just stupid." Despite the really insanely stupid bits, I would probably read again.

message 3: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen I gotta say, the Mormon comment made me laugh--out loud even!

I'm sure I'm WAAAY older than you, but I remember the first time (in the 70s! : O ) I'd ever heard of L. Ron and his wack-a-doodles.... They'd opened a bookstore in downtown Minneapolis to sell--wait for it!--ONE BOOK! That "Bible" of Scientology, Dionetics!! I thought, "Ok. It's odd, but whatever trips your trigger." Then I read the blurb for it and I knew they were off the charts! I couldn't believe people would actually buy this crap, but hey, what do I know? Obviously, there are some pretty crazy people out there that'll buy anything! Damn, I wish I'd thought of it first though!

PS
The store didn't last long. Maybe our Scandinavian/Germanic backgrounds are a deterrent to Scientology. The Lutherans have the corner on the God market sewn up here I guess!

message 4: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth As a former Seventh Day Adventist, who was born in Salt Lake City, I believe this may be the best review of this book, EVER.

message 5: by Zoë (new)

Zoë I think the sarcasm is spot on. Kudos my man, for the giggles. :)

William Beesley James wrote: "Your sarcasm is offensive and has nothing to do with this work of fiction. As for Scientology it's a religious philosophy not a worship. Most people get that wrong as evidenced by the snide comme..."

James, specifically whose sarcasm is offensive?

James William wrote: "James wrote: "Your sarcasm is offensive and has nothing to do with this work of fiction. As for Scientology it's a religious philosophy not a worship. Most people get that wrong as evidenced by t..."

I won't argue. Later.

message 8: by Jonn (new) - added it

Jonn Martin I saw this book at a local thrift store. Just from the cover I had to have it. I can't wait to read this one.

James Jonn wrote: "I saw this book at a local thrift store. Just from the cover I had to have it. I can't wait to read this one."

It's actually a good novel, on par with pulp fiction of the past. Get the audio book for a better experience. I've read it a couple of times. Don't compare to the movie version. 30th anniversary of the book next year.