Robin's Reviews > The Moon Is Down

The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck

F_50x66
Mar 23, 09

Our book club just chose this for next meeting. Written John Steinbeck and in fable form during the height of Nazi Germany's European occupation. Translated into Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, French, Russian, and German, it was the most published and circulated propaganda literature of the time. In fact, if caught with it, it could punishable by death. The underground sales helped finance the resistance armies. A book club member's father wrote books on Steinbeck, including "John Steinbeck as Propagandist". He is going to speak to our club at our next meeting. I've just read the intro so far.
I just finished "The Moon is Down", I loved it. Steinbeck wrote this from no first hand war experience. The setting, country, is anonymous, the invaders are as well, but it could be in country during Hitler's invasions. All occupied countries adopted this story as their own. Steinbeck's success with this story of occupation is said to come from his first hand experience and writings of the human condition during the Depression. His empathy with the people transferred to another form of oppression. It is almost read as play script. Universal and timeless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon Is Down.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful book club! Mine never gets speakers, but once I got invited to LuAnn Tamisiea's book club when they read a BRAND new book just out, and the author actually came and talked. LuAnn and Bruce knew the author's father, so he set it up. Very interesting. Let me know how the discussion goes, I would LOVE to be a mouse in the corner!

Robin You bet, I had no idea that Jeanne's father had this background. He was a professor at U. of Houston, and has written several books on Steinbeck. He also is the only one that has written from first hand friendship with his wife's perspective. We are watching a Steinbeck bio Tuesday that I ordered from netflix.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wow! Sounds interesting. I'd like to hear about it. We've not had speakers. It's such a treat for you to get such an insider perspcetive. I want to hear how it went. I need to read it. Enjoy.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Always good to enjoy a book so much!