Amanda's Reviews > The Emperor's Conspiracy

The Emperor's Conspiracy by Michelle Diener

Dec 30, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read in December, 2012

This is, without doubt, one of the worst books I've ever read. People, it is even worse than Twilight.

I can forgive a trite plot if the characters or the writing are engaging, and I can forgive poor writing if the plot, characters, or concepts are awesome, but this book melds terrible writing with a boring, trite, cliche, unrealistic plot and boring, trite, cliche, unrealistic characters.

This is a book that completely ignores any ideas of "show, not tell". We are repeatedly told how wonderful and desirable Charlotte is, and how she always says the perfect things, but we are never shown this. We're shown her saying small little niceties that somehow deeply move the other characters-- which leads one to conclude that either the author is not very good at writing moving language, or that she is intending every one of her characters to be dumb as a box of rocks.

The romance aspect was also quite ridiculous-- very lust at first sight leading to love without really knowing much about the other person. Which is understandable in a YA novel... but not so much in one where the protagonist is already in her 20s, and the love interest is older than that. They are adults, not teens, but they don't act like it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Conspiracy.