icebox's Reviews > The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

Aug 21, 2007

bookshelves: lost-interest
Recommended for: nobody

Okay, so I'll be honest. I started reading this book. I got about 10 pages in. Most people would say, "Hey, thats not far enough to know if this book is good or not" but I disagree. In the first 10 pages, not only was I able to discover how completely contradicting this book was, but I was also able to realize how familiar this story was. In my opinion, it seems as though Max Brooks compaired the Zombie virus to the AIDS virus. The only difference being the name of the virus. I am in no way dissing Max Brooks. I would love to read his new book World War Z. I am not saying DO NOT READ THIS. I'm just saying, anyone who loves zombies should not read this book. They WILL be disapointed. Maybe if I wasn't into zombies I wouldn't have felt it was so contradicting as poorly put together. Maybe I would have just enjoyed it overall as a humorous zombie book. Either way, I just hope I'm not as thrown off by World War Z as i was by Zombie Survival Guide.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zombie Survival Guide.

The Crimson Fucker you right anyone who loves zombies should not read this book. now if you hate them (like some of us do) and you want them dead well thats a different story.

William You are definately entitled to your opinion, however from reading your review, I'd say you did not read enough of the book. The beginning of the book discusses the common causes for zombie-ism? It later developes and discusses survival technics and speculates upon "real" zombie outbreaks. If yous till have the book you might want to skip the first bit about causes and progress further. I am a huge zombie fan and found this book awesome.

Dave When you get done cracking on Max Brooks go read some Peter Duesberg. Ain't no such animal as an AIDS Virus.

Clay Tilton Well, there are many kinds of zombies out there, theres the solanum strain, morningstar strain, resident evil, left 4 dead, and plenty others, but this book is just on this one virus, and it describes the strengths and weaknesses of this virus in great detail.

message 5: by Lily (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Marie It was suppose to be a parody of an actual survival guide. I agree with the "science can't explain it" getting annoying, but it was just for fun.

message 6: by Mika (new) - rated it 1 star

Mika Mage This was a terrible book, I stopped at the "true accounts", I wasn't about to read Brooks' masturbatory fantasies of zombie cavemen..

Dave Geeezzzzuuuusssss H. people. The zombie apocalypse is a metaphor & this particular Brooks book is a parody. Take it for what it's worth.

message 8: by Mika (new) - rated it 1 star

Mika Mage A metaphor? For what, an alien invasion?

message 9: by Dave (last edited Nov 08, 2011 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave @Mika
A metaphor for any circumstances (of man's own doing) leading to a general societal break down, such as (but not exclusively limited to) a collapse of the international monetary system.

message 10: by Mika (new) - rated it 1 star

Mika Mage I, respectfully, disagree. Zombies and the idea of zombie apocalypse may generally represent such a theme, but it is hardly unique to this item.

message 11: by Dave (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave Mika wrote: "I, respectfully, disagree. Zombies and the idea of zombie apocalypse may generally represent such a theme, but it is hardly unique to this item."

When the "zombie" mob comes out to play my AK isn't going to be shooting metaphorical bullets no-matter if they are really un-Dead or simply bored rejects from the Occupy Potests.