Tutti's Reviews > The Book About Blanche and Marie

The Book About Blanche and Marie by Per Olov Enquist

Mar 11, 09

I admired the detexterous attempt of lacework bringing together the concepts in the book-
Great Beauties- eventually eroded by the effects of radium- Blanche a three limb amputee, twice Nobel Peace Prize Winner Marie Curie and her 'assistant' Blanche- a former 'medium' the body to the experiments of the Clarchot and his theories of hypnotism and hysteria. the fascination of the turn of the century when science and art are jostled by awe, scandal, great achievements in science, facts and a fair degree of name dropping.Themes of magnetism (human and science) all trying to unravel the inner mystery of 'love' and human motivation- no wonder it didn't quite pull off!

The downfall I thought was the author's basing the movement of the book around the supposed Set of Three Books of Questions that Blanche had left behind. They truly seemed so unlikely that it kind of defied basing the book- a fiction around actual charachters and events.
The author seemed to be really overestimating the appeal of Blanche as being beautiful, as I could find little else to her charachter. That said- I did enjoy the conceptual approach of the book, even if I don't think it really 'worked'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book About Blanche and Marie.