Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Shuffle Up and Deal

Shuffle Up and Deal by Susan DiPlacido

Jan 10, 13

Read from January 05 to February 08, 2013

Izzy works at her dad's travel magazine as a writer and loves poker. She's had an on-again-off-again relationship with Andy for years that is going nowhere . She has a brother named Rocco who has a young daughter named Danni. Her widowed dad is married to Jennifer, who Izzy and Rocco think is just after his money. Jennifer is always trying to "improve" Izzy and Danni and she has no filters.

Nick is a champion poker player. Though he likes the ladies, he keeps himself distant from them and just enjoys their company. Izzy has had a crush on him for a while from afar.

Izzy and Nick meet at a poker tournament and Nick sees potential in Izzy as a player and offers to mentor her. They are also drawn to each other and end up in a relationship with its share of turmoil. Along the way, we get to meet their friends and other players.

This is the first novel by this author that I've read. I liked the writing style and the interaction between the characters (though I couldn't believe Izzy got sucked in by Phil's bets not once but twice!). Izzy is close to her family (other than Jennifer) and that shows. The point of view changes from Izzy and Nick and I found that I liked it better when it was in Nick's voice.

I don't play poker nor do I know how to play. There are a lot of poker terms and I didn't understand sometimes what was happening.

As a head's up, this is a very mature book ... there is a lot of swearing and in-your-face sexual and exhibitionist activity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shuffle Up and Deal.