Michelle's Reviews > Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy

Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire

Mar 23, 09

Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

This book was an average read in that it had some pretty great parts balanced out with some pretty dull parts. The whole story is remembrances of growing up in Cuba pre-Castro.

The first half captured me-I thought the author did a great job of writing so I could feel exactly what he felt and did as a child. It was an enlightening and educational view of Cuba that I had certainly never heard before.

Towards the middle, the author starts slipping back and forth between childhood and present day too much. It lost the innocence of the child's thoughts and wasn't interesting as an adult's thoughts. He just seemed depressed. Also, it got to be too much alluding to the Revolution and never getting around to being the Revolution.

I did really enjoy the chapters at the end that did deal with the actual change of power and change of lifestyle. It's powerful to imagine one day having money and the next day being told you can trade in only 50 pesos to receive your new money. The movie theater description was also very powerful. Unfortunately, those chapters were few and after that I felt like the continuity of the story was completely guy. It turned into a middle-age guy with a horrible past just dwelling on the past. Reminded me of being trapped in a corner listening to a drunk ramble on about everything little thing that pops into his head.

My favorite quote from the book is on page 232:

"Dante was so wrong. At the lowest point, at the nadir of the ninth circle of hell, Satan will be sharing eternally cold space with treasonous brown-nosers who abandon their principles and do what is wrong for the sake of a good grade, or applause. And these brownnosers will ahve to lick Satan's razor-studded butt forever and ever, with their tongues."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Snow in Havana.

03/11/2009 page 24