Justin Jaeger's Reviews > Cannery Row

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Mar 11, 2009

Recommended to Justin by: KaDo
Recommended for: Anyone who creates stories in their minds about the folks they see while people-watching.
Read in July, 2009

The writer in me was inspired while reading this. I am a Steinbeck novice, but adored his shotgun vignettes of this little microcosm. I never felt particularly attached to any character, but was consistently interested in learning about them from my third-person perch.

His blatant sarcasm is masterful. I am in awe of his ability to precisely create an emotion, ambiance, or moment with the use of contrasting terms. On their own they could not define his ideas, but the tug-of-war that they create together points to an accurate feeling reality that is rarely occupied by absolutes.

My only concern with the book is that it may be too smart for me. I was content to appreciate the stories at the base level without any real understanding of greater meaning or overarching metaphor. While I know I would be unable to provide a profound or insightful essay in an English or Humanities class about the text, I totally enjoyed the colorful stories of Cannery Row.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cannery Row.

message 1: by Bogydog (new)

Bogydog All right. I thought I was done with him, but Steinbeck's goin' back on the list. Thanks for the review, champion.