Miles's Reviews > Exit Plan

Exit Plan by Larry Bond

Dec 30, 2012

Read in December, 2012

I borrowed this for my 15 year old son who loves it and has re-read it several times. To stay hep with the young generation I read it too. It's a cartoon like thriller about SEAL special operations forces and an Iranian nuclear bomb and the exfiltration of an Iranian spy to a US submarine lurking in the Persian gulf. So long as the story sticks to the action on the ground with the commandos it's an engaging adventure story, with plausible action scenes and careful descriptions of different kinds of weapons and tactics. And when I say plausible, I don't mean to suggest that 5 SEAL commandos would likely be able to kill 35 Iranians in a 3 day rampage through the backroads of the Iranian coast, but rather that the descriptions feel like fighting and are possible to imagine. The plausibility is of a movie sort and I was willing to surrender to the artist's vision. In contrast, the dialogue and plausibility of the Presidential level and diplomatic discussions is much lower - laughable really. The whole thing is an awkward mess, but perfectly acceptable as a diverting adventure and a way to bond with your teenager.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit Plan.