Bleak Mouse's Reviews > The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman: II

The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman by Robert Aickman

M_50x66
Aug 21, 07

Read in October, 2001

The finest writer of "strange stories" of the 20th century, who remains completely unknown and perpetually out of print. No standard ghost or horror stories here: these are truly disturbing, and haunting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Strange Stories Of Robert Aickman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bleak Mouse Good luck finding anything by him in print. I had to send away to England for this limited edition set, and at considerable cost. However, there are a number of out-of-print paperbacks which can probably be had cheaply from used book dealers. My favorite story: "The Same Dog."

Bleak Mouse Yes, I have both these volumes, which I picked up at one of the dollar stores many years ago. Could find no more, except in horror anthologies, which seemed not quite the right genre for him. But he's fascinatingly disturbing, and taps into mythological fears and childhood tremblings very, very well. I haven't read him in awhile, but will reread "Pages" as soon as I finish this book about physics, although maybe before, if I am weak.

He should be far better known than he is. He wrote a few books about the canals of Britain and water engineering, which I have scrupulously avoided.

Bleak Mouse True, but the sentence you quoted makes me want to go to the bathroom.

Call me weird, but I guess I'd just rather empty my bladder than have a root canal. Even if I have to go to Britain to do it.

Bleak Mouse Only if you have to suddenly go there in the middle of the night.