Robin DeJarnett's Reviews > A Little Bit Wicked

A Little Bit Wicked by Victoria Alexander

Mar 18, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-read, share-the-wealth-giveaway
Read in March, 2009

I finally read a historical romance...and surprisingly enough, saw a lot of similarities to my own plot! Now if only I could find the success that Victoria Alexander's achieved...

I was hesitant to start this book - I'm not a big Shakespeare fan, mostly due to the language, and wasn't sure if I'd have the same problem with this genre. Luckily, the language wasn't that archaic, and was actually very easy to read.

Strong characters (including a fairly feminist heroine), some aristocratic conniving, and enough physical description (but not too much) made for a very enjoyable read. The emphasis was on the emotional past and growth of the characters; there wasn't a murder to move the plot, but there was flashbacks to a less than gentle history of past marriages, so I guess there was a mild criminal element to the story.

I would probably read another in this genre - at least in this setting of old England. I don't know it I'm ready for the plethora of Scottish historicals yet, but I enjoyed this book much more than I anticipated.

As an aside: I heard Victoria Alexander speak at RWA last year; she was the keynote speaker. She is an funny, down to earth woman who had us all in stitches as she described her experience becoming a popular romance novelist. If you ever get the chance to hear her speak, take it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Bit Wicked.