Jenna's Reviews > The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

F_50x66
Mar 11, 09

I don't do self help books most especially ones that involve the word 'love'. Had it not been for a book group discussion assignment I guarantee I never would have picked up this book.

I'm so glad I did! It's really fun to read. The concept is very simple and makes loads of sense. The writing is very down to earth and Chapman gives so many examples through stories that it's a very fast read.

In short, he explains that everyone speaks different languages in life (Spanish, German, English, etc.) and it's the same with love. We're all raised differently and what we try to do to show our spouse/kids we love them doesn't necessarily mean they are receiving the message that we love them after all (and vice versa). We all have different love languages and he helps the reader discover what hers/his is.

When I asked what my husband thought my love language is he told me, but it wasn't right...it was actually his own love language he thought was mine and I thought his was what mine is. It was quite eye opening and I love that now that I know that I feel differently when he does certain things because I know he's trying to speak my love language...and I'm trying to speak his. We were already very happy in our marriage, but this does open eyes and make things a bit richer for us. Great book...glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Love Languages.