Sara 's Reviews > The English American

The English American by Alison Larkin

Apr 21, 09

bookshelves: british-influence
Read in March, 2009

I picked up this book because I wanted to read about a young woman experiencing the contrast between England and America.

The main character, Pippa, whose American parents gave her up at birth, was adopted by English parents. She doesn't always fit in with her well-mannered English family, and when she's in her late 20s, she travels to America to meet her over-the-top birth parents. The results are by turns funny and sad, as Pippa learns to accept herself and her situation without caving in to the pressures around her.

I enjoyed the explorations of emotions in this novel. Various characters acted in the bizarre, illogical ways that people so often do. Also, Pippa really strikes me as a fresh, unique character. Sometimes I wanted to shout advice at her, which I think is a positive sign that the book was drawing me in.

I would also like to add that I have been to England, and I thought that a lot of the people there were quite talkative, friendly, and boisterous, rather than being reserved like Pippa's British family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English American.