Christopher's Reviews > The Color Purple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

M 50x66
Mar 11, 09

This was the first Alice Walker novel that I have read. I thought that it was very well written, and an interesting, heartbreaking, courageous, and overall triumphant work. Ms. Walker's writing style is clear, easy to follow, and not too complicated, which isn't to say that she's a bad author; she's not. The format of the book, with Celie's diary entries is very clever, and fits this book perfectly. I enjoyed this book very much. Ms. Walker does a beautiful job of accuratly presenting African-American culture, which she draws from her own heritage. I love it when authors put part of their heritage into their works, i.e. Amy Tan's "The Joy Luck Club", etc., becuase it gives the reader a better understanding of the culture as seen through the eyes of a member of that culture. I am definately going to read more of Ms. Walker's works in the future. She is a wonderful, talented writer who brings a unique voice to American literature. Her works rank among those of other non-white writers such as Amy Tan, who have helped develop the phenomenon of ethnicity in literature in America. This book should be required reading in high shcools and colleges around the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color Purple.